Monday 2 February 2009

Its snow joke and a 60th birthday card

Hope you're keeping warm and cosy today and staying safe from the bad weather. I'm working from home as we're snowed in here and so I thought I'd take a little break for lunch and update you all.

Here's how things looked this morning out
 of my window when it first got light. It's snowed a fair bit more since then and it's still coming. And we've got it easy. Friends around the country are reporting 10" of snow! I just hope that the forecasters have got it wrong that tomorrow will be even worse.

On the other hand at least it's waited until today to really get bad. Yesterday we went to an aunt's 60th birthday party and apart from making the return trip a little hairy it didn't spoil the fun.

Here's the card I made for her. I used Rose Red 
cardstock for the base. I made a narrow paper ribbon with Sweet Always Designer Series Paper and added Ruby Red brads from the Earth Elements collection. These were just pushed through the paper and not the card, so that they didn't spoil the look of the card inside. I stamped Happy Birthday from the Occasional Greetings stamp set onto Regal Rose card with Versamark ink and heat embossed with white embossing powder. The leafy flower from the True Friend stamp set was inked first with Versamark then Regal Rose and stamped onto Whisper White card. This allowed me to add clear embossing powder and heat to give a glossy finished image. A large pink Circle Fire rhinestone brad was added to the centre of the flower before it was matted onto more Sweet Always paper. I hand trimmed a tag from Regal Rose card and used my white Signo gel pen to apply faux stitching around the edge. The numbers were die cut from Rose Red card and the tag was finished with more paper ribbon and a brad to match those along the bottom.

For the inside of the card I stamped the Loads of Love sentiment from the Loads of Love stamp set with Rose Red ink onto Whisper White card. I added another paper ribbon and brad before sticking the insert to the inside of the card.

Keep safe and warm.

Sara xx

3 comments:

Shivvy x said...

HI Sara,

Yes I have got 10" of snow here in Braintree Essex! Luckily my boss text me really early and told me not to venture in, so lots of cardmaking going on today!

Your 60th card is gorgeous, I love the colours, and I love the way you have done the insert!

Siobhan xxx

Marilyn Goodrich said...

Adorable card Sara! I'm sure your aunt loved it :-)

maddy hill said...

Hi Sara , saw your post on scs and just wanted to bob by - im in leeds !

lovely cards you have there !

if your looking for a local crafty shop sara theres a place in sheffield called the craft den - it does little workshops too .. although the website isnt up and running theres the address for it on the site - its just in loxley if thats near you - thought you might like the info - there can never be enough local crafty shops can there !

the link is on my new post on my blog if you want to check it out xxx
love maddy