Sunday 15 February 2009

Double delight with flowery birthday cards using Polka Dot Punches

Today's card design takes inspiration from a few different cards by the hugely talented Joanne, which I've combined and added my own little touches to.

I also decided to make the same card in two different colour ways. If you come across a design you like then it's worth completing a few  different colour combinations. I find that I get on a roll in creating the elements of the card and it seems to go much quicker than producing two totally unique cards.

I'll explain how I put the Coral version together and then provide a list of colour substitutions. 

I started with Apricot Appeal for the card blank. Using Cameo Coral ink I stamped the 5 petal flower from the Polka Dot Punches set onto Cameo Coral card three times. (Don't forget - there's only two weeks left to get these stamps).
 I did the same with Old Olive ink onto Certainly Celery card and punched all six flowers/leaves out with the 5 petal punch (so much quicker than cutting them all out). To create dimension I scored from the centre of the flower down the 
centre of each petal and then in between each petal and folded (valley fold in the petal centre and mountain fold for in between). Using Certainly Celery ink I stamped the flourish from the Season of Joy set (not just for Christmas see) onto a wide strip of Whisper White card and then added the dinky flower in Cameo Coral ink. Cameo Coral ink was also used to stamp the Happy Birthday sentiment from the Occasional Greetings set onto this same mat. The flowers were positioned at the side of the stamping and attached with small Circle Fire rhinestone brads in yellow. I cut a piece of Certainly Celery card to mat onto but paper pierced it with the Cra
fters Toolkit and added faux stiching with the white Signo gel pen before sticking the two layers together. To save a little card (thrifty/tight - take your pick) I cut two narrower strips of Cameo Coral card, rather than one extra wide one, and punched with the Scallop Edge punch. This trim was added to the existing mat and stuck to the card front.

For the Plum card I made the following substitutions:

Apricot Appeal card blank = Pale Plum
Cameo Coral card flower = Pale Plum
Certainly Celery card leaves and paper pierced mat = Sage Shadow
Cameo Coral scallop trim = Perfect Plum
Cameo Coral ink on large/small flowers and sentiment = Perfect Plum
Old Olive ink on leaves = Sage Shadow
Yellow rhinestone brads = small clear rhinestone brads from Pretties Kit (also ideal would be lilac from Circle Ice set)

Hope you like them.

Sara xx

8 comments:

Kate Lewis said...

WOW! Sara, these are GORGEOUS!!! That Jo's a talented lady isn't she and so are you!! Love what you've done with the flowers, so striking. I've been trying to decide which colour combo I like best but can't!! TFS! Kate xxx

Marilyn Goodrich said...

Absolutely beautiful! Love the dimension of the flowers. And the color combos are fabulous!!

Sew This N That said...

they look awesome, Sara, very inspirational :0)
**Hugs** Heather x

Hayley said...

WOW stunning cards Sara thanks for sharing.

margaret said...

That is a super pair of cards love the colours of them. xx

Alex said...

WOW: Sara, these are beautiful! Love Polka Dot Punches stamp set :)

Thanks for sharing.

Alex x

Amber said...

Holy batman those are awesome cards, wish I would of seen these before I made my project for my stamp club.

Fiona said...

Inspring cards Sara - oh no I see I need another punch! LOL!