Wednesday 2 June 2010

A melon butterfly for the ILWS sketch challenge


Our sketch challenge this month over at ILWS is this:


Now my All a Flutter butterfly has been underused but I decided it wasn't large enough to fill the space on its own and so added another element:


Recipe
Stamp sets: All a Flutter, Bloomin' with Beauty
Cardstock: Melon Mambo, Whisper White
Ink: Black Stazon, Melon Mambo, SU Markers, Stampin' Pastels
DSP: Bashful Blue Patterns
Other: Crystal Effects, Blender Pen

I stamped the butterfly with Black Stazon onto Whisper White card. As we don't yet have the Melon Mambo marker, I squeezed my Melon Mambo inkpad together and picked up ink from the lid on a Blender Pen to colour my butterfly. After cutting out and shaping the butterfly I added Crystal Effects over the top. Next, using the stamp-a-ma-jig for positioning, I stamped just the hydrangea head from the Bloomin' with Beauty stamp onto the corner of a Whisper White mat using Black Stazon. The flowers were coloured with Bashful Blue marker and a hint of Tempting Turquoise in the centres and shaded areas. I dusted Bashful Blue chalk around the empty spaces to take the edge off the white. The DSP and flower image were matted and layered and the butterfly popped up on a sliver of dimensional to finish.

Thanks for stopping by. Don't forget to leave me a comment and let me know if you have any underused stamp sets.

Sara xx

3 comments:

Michelle Poston said...

Just a quick note. I saw where you were trying to "squeeze" ink from inkpad to use with blender pen. I learned from Kristina Werner's videos that you can take one of your clear acrylic blocks used for clear stamps and take your stamp pad and dab it on the corner and then you can dip your blender pen in that and it works wonderfully. I have used this many times and allows you to pick up a little or a lot based on the shading you want to do and then all you have to do is wipe your acrylic block with a baby wipe to clean it. Hope this helps.

AuroraDawn said...

Gorgeous card Sara, Love the butterfly, I'm ashamed to say I've yet to ink mine up!

p.s. you've filled the space beautifully, that hydranga(sp) and butterfly look very natural.

Dawn
xxx

Jan Jones said...

This is so pretty. Love what you have done with the butterfly.
Jan
X