Tuesday 1 June 2010

A bookmark card for the June ILWS inspiration challenge


It's a new month (how can we be halfway through the year already) and so we have a new set of challenges over at In Love With Stamping. This month we have:
  • Inspiration Piece
  • Colour Combo
  • Sketch
  • Technique
and you can play along at any time.

Over the next six days I'll take you through each of my DT samples.

Now I noticed from my Current Stamp Set listing in the right hand side menu that some of my stamps haven't been used very often and so I set myself an extra challenge this month to dust off those overlooked stamps and include them in my samples. And I'm so glad that I did. They're all great stamps but I've got into a rut recently of reaching for my favourites (did anyone say Vintage Vogue *blushes*). Do you have overlooked stamps too? Which ones are they? If they're SU and I have them, then I'll try to include them in my posts later this month.

So, first up - our inspiration piece:


Although it's a fancy tag from a pair of jeans it reminded me of bookmark and so it inspired me to make a bookmark card. I also tried to use a similar colour scheme and pattern and came up with this:


Recipe
Stamp sets: Bella Toile, Oval All, Tiny Tags
Cardstock: Sahara Sand, Lavender Lace
Ink: Basic Gray, Lavender Lace, Basic Black
Punches: Large Oval, Scallop Oval, Scallop Edge
Taffeta Ribbon: Whisper White
Other: Antique Brass Jumbo Eyelet, Cutter Kit

I started with an A6 Sahara Sand card blank and trimmed 3.5cm from the right hand side of the card front. Using a brayer to get even coverage, the Bella Toile background was inked with Basic Gray, stamped off once (onto coloured card which I put aside to use elsewhere) and then stamped onto the closed card so that it covers the card front and the exposed card back. With the perforating tool of the cutter kit I created a perforated line along the back of the card for the bookmark. A scallop edge strip of Lavender Lace was added up against the perforated line. The Just For You sentiment was stamped in Basic Gray on Sahara Sand card and punched with the large Oval. It was popped up on dimensionals onto a Scallop Oval of Lavender Lace. These ovals were also popped up on dimensionals and added to the front of the card. An Antique Brass Jumbo Eyelet was set at the top centre of the bookmark. Whisper White taffeta ribbon was coloured with a Lavender Lace marker and tied through the Jumbo Eyelet. The bookmark was finished by stamping the damask type image from the Tiny Tags in Basic Black at the bottom centre of the bookmark.

Once the recipient is finished with the card they just bend and tear off along the perforation and they have a bookmark.

Please don't forget to leave me a comment if you have any dusty SU stamps (or just want to comment generally of course - I appreciate them all).

Sara xx

1 comment:

Sew This N That said...

oh so cool Sara! Love the card design, it reminds me of a grey and white wallpaper my Mum has in her bedroom.
Love the idea of the bookmark card, must try that some day :0)
Thanks for the inspiration hun :0)
*hugs* Heather x